After a great game against Brazil, I call myself a fan of North Korean soccer. Kim Jong Il hired Chinese actors to cheer for the North Korean team in the world cup, so why shouldn’t he pay me too.
In the second Edition of “Behind the World Cup” we take a look at the second largest Peoples Republic. North Korea was formed after WWII and the end of Japanese occupation. Kim Il-Sung became leader in 1948 and immediately after started the Korean War, which took 4 million lifes. North Korea has one of the largest armies in the world. At about 1.1 million active soldiers it only falls short behind behind China, the US and India. 25% of its GDP goes into military spending. It is supposed to have at least 10 Nuclear Weapons. There is no freedom of religion, no freedom of press. An estimated 2,5 million people may have been executed by the North Korean government.
Mister Kim Jong-Il has some interesting “facts” in his biography:
- He doesn’t urinate or defecate like other people
- In his first game of golf, he shot 38 under par and got 11 holes in one
- He was once the single largest buyer of Hennessy, importing $700,000 worth per year
- He planned solving the famine crisis in North Korea by breeding giant rabbits
- Workers inspect every grain of rice he eats to ensure exact size and color
- He injects himself with the blood of virgins to stay young
- Citizens are told his father created the earth
- He is pretty short. At 5′3″ he hates being short. So he had all short people in Pyongyang sent to islands so they wouldn’t “infect” future generations with their shortness
After the break, we take a look at some interesting documentaries: VBS visits North Korea, North Koreas world cup win against Italy and more…